What are the most common side effects of birth control?
Many people who take birth control do not experience any side effects, or only experience side effects for the first few months. Some side effects that you may experience include:
- Bleeding or spotting between periods
- Sore or tender breasts
- Decreased libido
- Thicker vaginal discharge, without change in odor or color
Some side effects like nausea and headaches peak during your first month on birth control and significantly improve shortly thereafter. It can take some time for your body to adjust to the new hormones in your medication. Here more about side effects on our blog.
If you’ve been taking your birth control for more than three months and you’re still experiencing unpleasant side effects, reach out to us—another type or brand may work better for you. Please email us at email@example.com and tell us, in as much detail as possible, the side effects you've been experiencing. It can take time to find the right fit, but we’re here to help you through that process.
If you are a Simple Health patient and have questions or concerns about your birth control prior to your next refill, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with answers to the questions below.
- Have you started taking any new medications?
- Have you experienced any new allergies?
- Have you experienced any side effects?
- Have you been in the hospital or experienced transitions of care?
- Have you started using another pharmacy since the last fill?
- Do you believe the medication is effective?